Friday 26 October 2012

What Have I Done?

Oh my Lord, what have I done?
I've let myself run out
into the things
you warned me about.
I've floundered in doubt
instead of shoring up faith.
Oh Lord, what have I done?

And to you, my sweet,
I never meant to hurt you,
never meant to desert you
and leave you bereft of my love.
I know, you thought I was tougher
than that, you thought
that I could endure.
Yes my darling, I can. I will.

My Father, when I return
to the place of ultimate loss,
I will find myself there
like an angel,
terrible in glory.
I will understand the story is
older than I
with eternal consequence,
and there's no going back to mend
what I rent.
Oh my Lord. Can you? Can you?

1 comment:

  1. This one hurts...I love the little rhyme insertions, noticeable without being overbearing and I think this would be wonderful read aloud (I actually did read it aloud to myself), has a great feel.

    ReplyDelete